Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Support Your Staff

Employees of my retro diner are typically young adults. If you don't take them seriously, how will they take your business seriously and support you in a professional manner? 

I have hired high school drop outs, pregnant teens and couch surfers. They have been some of the best employees. In my case, it was clear to me that they were good people, bright and hard working, they just had more to deal with in their lives than the typical teenager. Work, money and stability are things I can provide. Together we can have a mutually beneficial employee-employer relationship.

At the retro diner, I make it clear up front. This is a family business and we care about you. In return, you need to care about this business and together we do the best we can to provide an above average meal and experience for every guest. 

I let them know that they are willing to work hard, they will be rewarded. Right from the beginning I pay them more than minimum wage and let them know that we value them and will treat them better than the competition ever would. 

Next, we feed them. We have a generous meal plan. About a dozen menu items that they can have for $2 before, during or after their shift. Everything from salads and veggies to chili or burgers. It's hard to work with food if you're starving.  Don't have the $2 upfront? That's ok too... pay me at the end of the shift with your tips. I'm a mom, I get it. 

We also feed their families, but not their boyfriends or girlfriends. But anytime your brother wants to stop in for a milkshake or a big plate of fries, we take 25% off the top. (Specials excluded.) Why do we extend the staff discount to mom, dad, grandma, siblings etc? Because I want their families to be aware of the work their teen does and feel welcome to stop by anytime. Building trust and support through their families builds loyalty to the restaurant as well. I want my staff to work for me long term. It's good for them, their resumes and especially good for my customers. Consistency and familiar staff gives the diner the right neighbourhood feel and quality experience we strive for. 

More on building success through your staff.... next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment