Sunday, November 18, 2012

So you want to own a restaurant?

I was driving home a babysitter the other day, and making small talk with the young lady I'd barely known two days. (Ok, let's stop for a second before I get a lecture for leaving my kids with a near stranger. Let me assure you that the young lady's references were rock solid. Most of my close friends are high school teachers. Believe me, that's invaluable when choosing a potential sitter. High school teachers KNOW the kids in their classes and give detailed references.)

Forgive the sidetrack. I'm actually going somewhere with this story.

So, in polite exchange, I ask the girl if she's taking any classes that she really likes or has she identified a direction for a her future career.

"Oh yes!" she gushes.  "I've been really excited to meet you. I know you own a restaurant and that's kind of like what I want to do, you know, for my career and stuff. "

Then came her barrage of questions. "What kind of recipes do you use? Where can I get some good knives? What does a good knife cost?  How much money do you make? How many staff do you have?" And she went on and on.

I was glad to answer questions, though already exhausted from my day. I do feel that it's important to inspire youth to consider Culinary Arts as a career path. So many of us, in the business, are exhausted though and our own enthusiasm has disappeared. It's a fairly short lived career for some. It's not something the body can keep up with 7 days a week for a decade or more. And if you do have the personal stamina, sometimes the finances and business circumstances force you out before your time.

I encouraged her to consider evening classes through the local college, to get a glimpse of what life could be like. I also suggested a part time job in a restaurant. I asked her what in particular did she see herself doing... front of the house manager, chef, pastry chef, restaurant designer, waitress, or what?

She replied, as only a dreamy eyed teen could... "Oh actually, I already know." She said. "I'm going to own a Bed and Breakfast, that is also a cafe and tea room. But we'll be kind of like a youth hostel too and I hope to make wedding cakes for people on the side and do gourmet dog biscuits."

"Wow. Good for you." I said. "Sounds great! Better work out a detailed business plan and start saving your money. That's going to be a lot of work."

Lucky for me, I had her safely at her house by that point. Goodnight, I told her and thanks again.

I have to admire people who dream big. That's the kind of things great stories are made of. Some people will do it, you know. Others have their dreams shattered all too young by other circumstances. Others still, will take a life path dictated by others and put their own dreams aside.  I'm glad that night I bit my tongue and did not let out the jaded beast within me - the beast that says "you're kidding yourself, kid. Life will eat you up and spit you out. There's no way you're going to do it all."

I don't want to be the one who tells people they can't, especially young people. There's a whole big world out there that people battle daily. Everyone overcomes something in an effort to be happy. If it's not drama, disease, natural disasters or peer bullying, the economics of life and the walls that surround you will get in your way. I wish people would help each other more. Say, "go for it, or let me help" rather than "you can't or you're kidding, right?"

Nothing today is handed to anyone on a silver platter. Well, except for high tea at the Empress. But I think at least we can support each other's dreams. Dreams still cost nothing. Dreams are still meant for everyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment