Sunday, January 26, 2014

No Fat Salmon

How are your New Year's resolutions coming along? Still sticking to your healthy eating prescription? It's a challenge isn't it? I'll confess...  I had some carrot cake tonight, from the downstairs freezer while I was doing laundry! But you have to forgive yourself the little "cheats" and keep on trying.

Here's one of my favourite recipes for moist, full of flavour fish:  I simply take 2 lemons and slice them thin. I use the slices to line the baking dish. In this example, pictured,  I've used 1 lemon and 1 lime for a more complex citrus flavour. I placed the filets meat side-down on the lemon slices. Then I used sea salt, cracked pepper, dill weed & onion flakes on top of the skin. When the skin is removed it takes the spices, but leaves a fair bit of flavour. That's great if you are also watching your sodium.

There are no additional liquids or any fat added. The broth you see in the photo (cooked) is simply the moisture from the lemons/limes and the fish as it breaks down during baking.

I cover the pan with foil and bake in the oven at 325 for about 40 minutes. Time will vary on your type of fish (my favourite is salmon), the thickness of the cut and whether you started with fresh or frozen filets.

This is a great main course to serve with veggies and brown rice. Use leftovers on a salad for the next day's healthy lunch.

Baked lemon/lime salmon filets

No comments:

Post a Comment