Saturday, August 24, 2013

$10 Diner Dinner Progress

I'm running a little low on creativity, but there's only a week left in August and our Diner Dinner Project so I know we'll make it to the end of the month!

We have had so many lovely compliments and visits with guests on this topic. I didn't realize what an human interest story it would turn into. I think what resonates most with people is that at one time or another, or for various reasons, we have all said "I'm not cooking anything fancy. It's only me."

The "only me" statement is what has really motivated me to try this. I know it's hard to cook for one person. I know after a long day, whether it has been emotionally or physically exhausting, you just want to rest. But you still have to eat. That's when most of us turn to the microwave, or a drive through and eat something we ourselves deem as "good enough" rather than something more nutritious or enjoyable to our own tastes. I've done this myself. Truthfully, I've eaten more frozen Stouffer's Lasagna than anyone should.

As ridiculous as it seems, even as a restaurant owner, I struggle to eat. In all the times you've been to the Diner, have you ever seen me sitting down and eating a meal? It's rare. Not because I don't love my own cooking, it's simply a matter of timing. Each day is a 12 hour race to get everything done. In the hour before we open, it's all prep. In the hour following doors closing, it's all clean up. And in between it's all cooking and serving to the public, whenever they might pop in.  So when I get home at 10:30pm and realize I really haven't eaten all day, that's when I turn to the lasagna.

So the Diner Dinners are solving my issues too! Most nights there have been enough leftovers of the main dish that I can take it home and enjoy it with my feet up and watch the news.  Win- Win.

I hope you're enjoying the project too!

Here's an update to the existing list of the dinners, to the best of my recollection.

Soft Tacos with Stuffed Anaheim Peppers
Sweet and Sour Meatballs & Perogies
Pork Chops with Apple Peach Sauce
Hot Butter Rum Peach Sundae
Teriyaki Steak Stirfry
Perogies and Kolbassa
Marinara Meatballs with Salad
Citrus Chicken Salad
Pulled Pork on a Bun
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches



Citrus Chicken Salad with a Mandarin Orange Sesame Dressing & Breadstick.


No comments:

Post a Comment