Monday, March 25, 2013

Crazy walking through the door

You can analyze the moon cycles by what walks through the door of the Diner. This weekend you could surely see a full moon on the horizon.

The first customers pounding on the door Sunday morning were a couple raging alcoholics still completely drunk and reeking of  Saturday night's swill. This was 11AM.

Shortly thereafter, the hungover twenty-somethings stroll in wearing their baggy sweatpants and telling obnoxious tales of their previous night's escapades. Lapping up the gatorade and picking at their poutine.

A little later in the afternoon an unruly, ill mannered family of tazmanian devils proceed to encourage their 3 kids to literally destroy our table... kicking the metal legs of the table until the screws pop out and it nearly collapses. They found this utterly, obnoxiously hilarious. And in my polite discussions with them (though I wanted to scream) I recognized their voices and words. They had done this before!! A couple years earlier we had the same scenario.  The only 2 times something like this has happened in my 7 years of restaurant ownership.... and it's the same people. OMG.

The night before, a couple of unsupervised pre-teens start discussing blow job techniques as I am clearing plates from the table next to them. WTF??? Not in my family Diner you don't!  They took their fries to go and got a few words from me regarding appropriate language and behaviour in public.

I tell ya.... ANY GIVEN SUNDAY! This was not what I was expecting to deal with. But it certainly signals the full moon. People lose their minds and their manners. And for whatever reason, converge en mass in my public space.

Now of course this is rare. Very rare. Typically Sundays are for ice cream and families, and celebrations, birthdays and friends getting together in happy times.  Sundays are the days I'm supposed to be able to coast....  It's my chance to recover, and restock after a busy Friday and Saturday. It's also typically a day of rest from telemarketers, salespeople and walk-in solicitations. But not this Sunday. I had to have my game-face on. And what a wild 'game' it was.


No comments:

Post a Comment