Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Staff Parties

What can you do to boost staff morale? Take them out of the building. Let them enjoy each other in a social setting.

Over the years we have tried a number of things, from group dinners, to laser tag and bowling. I have found that the hands on, active outings were always the best. Encourage a little competition and then there's bound to be a few laughs.

Here's how I organized bowling:

1) Closed the diner an hour early on a Tuesday night and we all met at the bowling lanes at 9PM. This way no one had to work and was left behind.

2) We divided up the teams according to haircolour or something equally random.

3) I showed them a list of challenges (bowl a strike, score 72, etc). Then the first person to succeed at each challenge got to choose a random envelope as a prize.

4) Each prize envelope had something, whether it was a pie coupon from the diner, or a gift card to the mall, or a movie pass.

5) I paid for pizza and pop.

6) With bowling, food and prizes I invested about $200 in my staff that day. It was worth it ten fold.
Energized staff that can work out their problems and enjoy each socially, find ways to work together in the restaurant too. They also see that I value them and we are more than just a paycheque.

No comments:

Post a Comment