Wednesday, November 14, 2012

TV Fare

It's a wonder we ever leave the house. The Food Network keeps raising the bar and enticing viewers with fabulous new cooking shows. I'm pretty much glued to the Food Network, if I'm not at work in my own restaurant.

I don't know anyone who hasn't tuned in to shows like Iron Chef, Diners Drive-Ins & Dives, or Cupcake Wars. Or anyone who hasn't referenced an episode in conversation.

Personally, I'm into anything done by Bobby Flay. I think he's a fabulous chef and just as good as a TV host. His show 3 Days to Open is pretty great.

As a restaurant owner, I can related to the challenges shown on TV. None of it appears unrealistic. You'll always face challenges with staff, trends, schedules, suppliers, customers and outside forces (like weather, economic conditions etc). So it is genuinely interesting to see how other restaurants face and overcome their obstacles.

Creative recipes and learning about regional cuisine will always interest me. In order to succeed in this business, you need to stay current and stay inspired. Lucky for me, the Food Network is there, in my off hours (the wee hours of the night) to keep me company and show me what the outside world looks like. It's a comfort that we all face the same challenges, and an inspiration to see how people succeed in their local markets.


No comments:

Post a Comment