Saturday, July 12, 2014

8 Great Years

Wow! Eight years. That's a long time in the restaurant business. It's even more astonishing, to me, since I never set out to be a restauranteur. I did not aspire to own a restaurant. I never dreamt of spending my days in a kitchen. This was never my plan.

Truthfully, this was actually a bit of a fallback plan... a quickly put together "plan B." I had a great government job that I loved and suited my educational background. But one day with cutbacks, the wheels fell off that bus. I picked myself up, dusted myself off and bought a fledgling ice cream shop. I threw a whole lot of love and effort and a solid marketing plan at it, and before long, I had a thriving 50's style retro diner.

Since then, I have employed more than 40 young adults and working moms. The diner has provided a first job for some, and a evening/second job for others  I have survived 7 high school graduations, witnessed 2 weddings, welcomed more than 7 babies and have seen my personal extended family grow.

My "weakness" as an employer is also my strength as a human. I care about people. Maybe even sometimes, too much. Their problems become my problems. I worry more than I should. I "hold the job" and give people more slack than I should. I carry a greater burden myself so that I may lighten the load of others. But, that's who I am. I might be a lousy business person to some in that regard, but I can look in the mirror and say I like the human I am. Just a human who works too much.

The greatest personal measure of  business success to me, is having former staff stay in touch. When they move away, but return to visit, I'm always on their list to see.  I get the best notes and texts and emails, and hugs. I care about them. I'm proud of their accomplishments and I consider many of them family. Heck, they know more, spend more time with and care more about me than my actual blood relatives do. That's a fact.

There is no overlooking our guests either. We have so many people in the neighbourhood that have included us in their lives. We keep up with their news, celebrate their occasions and watch their children grow. In some cases we've heard the birth announcements, been here for the first cones and have seen and heard the joys of kindergarten.

Some guests have been married, others have been lost. We've seen the tears, held the hands and offered the hugs that only a neighbourhood full of genuinely caring people can know.  Eight years is a long time. A lot of "life" happens in those days.

We've served NHL superstars, musicians and actors too. We've hosted school field trips and birthday parties. We've laughed with these folks and made some pretty great memories. Some of my best friends started on the other side of our counter. And some of the people I hold in the highest regard, I can count as our customers too.

Having my own kids grow up in a family business is a pretty cool thing. I like to think they are proud of me and the hard work I do. Seeing them thrive and see success in their own lives is something I treasure and want for them now, and into the future.

Restaurants come and go. Trends come and go. Even jobs come and go. What is priceless, is what you take with you, and what you make of your time here. These 8 years have certainly been action packed.  But really, in my opinion, 8 years in the restaurant biz should count like dog years. As in.... I've survived 56 years (a lifetime!) in this pressure cooker already.

So, ultimately, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a sentimental fool. And I guess I'm also a restauranteur. After all, anyone who can work 7 days a week, feed thousands of people, survive Friday rushes and most importantly, pay the bills, deserves to call herself a restauranteur!

Hmmmm. 8 years??!!! Time for me to order a huge cake and celebrate a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment