Monday, July 22, 2013

Regional Cuisine

When I travel, I try to eat like a local.

I will ask the hotel's front desk clerk or the clerk at the makeup counter/department store where he or she would recommend to eat. They are typically quick to offer up suggestions of fresh, affordable, non-franchise restaurants. This is the kind of information I love.

Recently in California, I sought out tacos and other Mexican - influenced dishes. I had fish tacos, beef tacos, spicy enchiladas and also a corn/bean/pico salad. I enjoyed the local beer (Blue Moon, Shock Top) and California wines.  For me, they were the right choices.

If I was on the Canadian prairies I would seek out meals using bison meat. On the coast I want seafood and shellfish.  I love food that is regionally unique and representing the creativity of individual restaurants and their chefs.  This to me, is one of the great aspects of travel.

Every time I try something new, it inspires me to get more creative at the retro diner I own!


No comments:

Post a Comment