Thursday, September 13, 2012

Why Retro?

Everything old is new again. From television shows to classic cars, there is a North American affection for the 50s and 60s. So when I had the chance to buy a sleepy little ice cream store, I thought I'd breathe new life into it by going retro.

The classic neon sign from the 60's (when the store was first established) still stood proudly outside the store. It was outlined with a big cheesy flashing arrow and twinkly "running" lights that flashed after dark. So, I figured it would be pretty easy to have the sign refurbished and then match the interior decor to the outside sign.

Once I had a theme, it was pretty easy to locate and purchase furniture, signs, and other decorator items. A couple keyboard strokes and everything was on its way.

A working jukebox was harder to find, but when I did I felt like the Fozz from Happy Days. "Ehhhh!" 

Acme Chrome provided all the new, but retro furniture. It was custom coloured and could not have been better. I'm pleased to say that after 5 years of daily use, all the chairs and tables are holding up great. They sure knew how to make it back then! And lucky for me, Acme Chrome is still pumping out the top quality, Canadian-made furniture  that generations have loved.

The one thing about the retro decor and 60s music, it brings a smile to people's faces. And once you have a relaxed and cheery customer in a comfortable environment, it is much easier to then dazzle them with good food and top notch service.

No comments:

Post a Comment