Friday, September 7, 2012

7 Day Dish

Today, I lost my mind and yelled at a freezer. Life can get a little heated in the kitchen when you work in a busy restaurant 7 days a week. Order in. Order out. Order in... order out. You get the picture. 

Well, our main commercial freezer was on the fritz. Odd really, since it's only three years old and was purchased new. Today was probably the 4th time I've called a repair man regarding this piece of equipment. This time it was going to get the service, but it was also going to get a chat from me. 

I had intended to give the freezer a pep talk.... "come on, you can do it." But it turned into an all out rant. Once I got going, it felt good and it was hard to stop. The kitchen was empty so the freezer and I were alone. No witnesses, no record. Well, until now. 

"What is your problem? Seriously! What is the freaking problem? I don't ask you to take customer orders. I don't ask you to answer the phone. You don't have to rub my back and you don't have to cook the burgers. All YOU have to do is stand there!  Stand in the corner, keep quiet and freeze things. Yes, freeze things. That's all I expect. Turn water into ice. Keep the perogies frozen and just stand there. I can't lower my expectations any more. It's just not possible. Either you are going to make my ice cubes and store my ice cubes or.... or..... I'm going to have to replace you." 

Ultimately, I ask myself this. "Is it too much to expect that a brand new appliance work 7 days a week?" I work 7 days a week. I have to get up every day and haul my butt into work, tired or not, I show up and put in the effort. Why shouldn't I expect that from my equipment?  Are things just not made like they were used to? Why does my grandmother's freezer still work fine? It for certain has worked 40 years and was probably less than 10% of the price. Is it true? Do they just not make 'em like they used to? 



#restaurant problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment